CrossFit South Brooklyn Group Class Coaching Expectations
- Coaches should be available and ready five to 10 minutes before classes start.
- Coaches should start and end classes on time.
- Coaches should use clear time stamps to manage class objectives.
Read all about "Timeliness" here.
- Brief every class on workout and scaling options at whiteboard before each segment. Here is an opportunity to focus on one to three points of performance.
- Connects individually with every athlete at least once, if not twice, each class.
- Projects confidence and interest, and engages both the entire class and individuals.
- Loud and clear communication, considering vocal projection and orientation relative to audience.
- Facilitates inclusive and friendly interaction with the entire class, and between individuals.
Read all about "Communication" here.
- Provides clear and effective progressions during coach-led segments.
- Controls tempo and positions of everyone during coach-led reviews.
- Ability to micromanage troubled movers without slowing the rest of the class down, and provides concise solutions for individuals who need it.
- Confidence to stop and scale improper and unsafe movement, even at the expense of performance results.
- Encourages individuals to scale up when you think it's appropriate.
- Prioritized and methodical cueing, during warm-ups, lifting, and metcons.
Read all about "Coaching" here.
- Clean and groomed.
- Wearing workout clothing.
- Not eating while teaching.
- Never on phone unless emergency situation.
Tandem Coaching Guidelines
- Discuss work distribution before class starts, trying to keep overall workload even.
- While one coach is leading flow, the second coach should be organizing logistics for the following segment or working with troubled movers.
- Evenly distribute athletes between coaches.
- If a class goes over, one coach should finish out that class while the other coach begins the next class.
Read all about "Tandem Coaching Guidlines" here.
Large Class Logistics
- When there are 16 or more athletes, double them up on led barbell reviews.
- Effectively pair people up, using the appropriate method.
- Communicate with other coaches using the space during any given class, so that everyone's space and equipment needs are accomodated in the most effective way.
- Abbreviate scaling options in the interest of streamlining the process of pairing partners.
- Evenly divide clusters of athletes into zones, which each coach will be responsible for
Read all about "Large Class Logistics" here and here.